Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I live in an uploading country; there's an incredible amount of blogging going on

Godzone (New Zealand) tops a Californian run initiative that tracks how people around the world use the internet. (Reported NZ Herald 29 July 08)
1 in 10 internet users have a blog (thats 3/3 in this household)
1 in 13 New Zealanders have a blog.

Of the 78% of New Zealanders internet who use the internet:
66% have broadband (so why does it cost so much???)
77% of us check our email daily
28% use social networking sites (I note the Herald doesnt break this down but gives the examples of Myspace and facebook; all my friends, family are on Bebo)
13% maintain their own website (this is not rocket science).

The caption with a photo reads "anonymity allows internet users to say things they might not say in person." While this is not discussed in the story, its a really interesting take on what it means to be anonymous. The IPS makes identification more, rather than less likely. The 1:1 relationship with the screen seems to be experienced as an intimate one and seems to lead to indiscretions being revealed as evidenced by anecdotal reports as well as by media headlines of people sacked.
Might be time a new word was coined for this perceived sense of anonymity which is far from actual. A nony mouse?

1 comment:

  1. On what it means to be "anonymous"

    I have quite enjoyed the thinking going on in the comments here ...

    .. I think it clarifies the what is appropriate when we blog online ... especially when we reference the day job ...

    Hi
    Second attempt at responding to this very thoughtful post.
    I can't see any difference between blogging and writing a letter to the editor of the local newspaper. If you wouldn't consider disclosing information that could identify a person to the newspaper, why would you think it's OK in a blog?
    I've followed the guidelines from HonCode regarding ethics - it's very helpful - and I also have placed a comment about any cases being discussed being composites of many people rather than a specific client. I also have stated that the blog represents my own personal views and not that of my employer/s.
    Another 'golden rule' is to always ask yourself whether you would be prepared to say what you write directly to your employer, your client, your colleagues. If you don't think you would, perhaps it's an indication that you're not quite ready to write about it - for me it's about being authentic and honest in what I do.

    ReplyDelete