Monday, September 19, 2011

mooc #change11

Ive some nervousness about this mooc having been in three previous moocs...

What i have learned from previous moocs:

1. I need to keep myself contained, moocs will take as much as you/i give them
and at this point in my studies and working life, i need to be setting my own boundaries.

2. Distributed learning- who and where is exciting and challenging, can work, but might be a tad too serendipitous. Because of this I'm really up front with my selfish/narrow area of interest.
BTW thats actor-network theory, how we are shaped as well as shaping when mediated through technologies

3. Change theorizing is a passion of mine grown out of discovering thwarted meglomaniacal tendencies (my own).
So Im very interested in seeing change in Machiavellian terms, or in a whirlwind model (Bruno Latour), or as messy (John Law)
And reject any top down or bottom up analysis.
Will entertain a thousand plateaus type approaches, rhizomatic descriptions are great, as are baroque folds, imho
Am willing to consider eco-system approaches (so long as they dont go too cosmic on me)
I just love the vibrancy that encompasses every actor in the network as well as the objects and practices that might be studied.

4. I set limits not only on my own area of interest but will also set limits here. This is a personal blog, its for my learning primarily, feel free to visit and to post, but dont write more than me- if you need a soapbox get your own blog and make a link :)


Enough for today; 30 mins on any day is the limit i am self imposing as ive a phd that is not writing itself.
But if you are interested in ANT, or in assemblages, baroque folds, or distributed agency and identity these are all areas that I love to engage on, so please do say hi!

2 comments:

  1. Great learning from the previous ones. I am struggling with this to the extent that I am still a bit unclear about its focus, but that being said, even spending 30 minutes a day is a lot, given all else we both do.

    BTW, love to chat more about ANT! I am trying to wrap my mind around what it would mean to analyze data from an ANT-informed lens. Thoughts?

    Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:15 PM

    Hi from Canada,

    great to see another ANT student working on a very different but highly interesting topic, and on the other side of the planet! Like the site too, pretty next level with Feedjit app.

    I'm a second year PhD working with ANT especially its nominalist understanding of publics and applying this to understand/intervene on the protection of a public semi-wilderness near urban park...now if I can just get my head around Latour's political ecology I'll be set.
    http://mystorywithcpaws.outdoorottawa.com/

    In solidarity,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete